A Creative Haven July 31, 2015 17:44
Do you know that feeling you get when you find your people? You know, your people. The ones who totally get you, who do what do you do, who want what you want, who like drinking coffee at all hours of the day and don't pass judgment, who enjoy bringing Emojis to life, who think that waking up for another day and having the opportunity to create is reason for a celebratory mimosa, etc. I recently met some of those people - some of my kind of people - at a wonderful weekend in Atlanta, Georgia. I attended the Gather workshop a couple weeks ago, and it was hands down the highlight of my summer. I met many incredible women who were full of originality, vivacity, ideas, support, and life-giving encouragement. If you are creative and have business on the brain - whether you're in the fledgling stage or experiencing full-blown success - you gotta go.
Below are some pictures and musings about this weekend that changed me and my creative intentions.
Need inspiration or like pretty things and awesome people? Read on!
1. The 2 wonderful ladies behind the Gather workshop are Mattie Tiegreen of Green Tie Studio and photographer Kaitie Bryant. Both are fabulous Renaissance women who have built amazing and successful businesses. These incredible ladies brought in some other fabulous creatives who shared their stories and talents and wisdom with us, and it was the greatest thing!
2. Gather was hosted by the super hip and totally cool Foster in Atlanta, Georgia. We were fortunate to use the space as our creative cocoon for 2 days, and I can't think of a better place to have spent that time!
3. As part of our experience, the Gather ladies spoiled us with an amazing swag bag full of goodies from so many fabulous creatives! Find the full list of incredibly talented sponsors here! In the picture below are the 2 items I've used the most. Each of us received a custom Gather workshop Maybook from the always fun and beautiful May Designs, as well as a copy of The Cultivated Heart from The Creative Porcupine. As a lover of words and written expression, these have been 2 of my most treasured tangibles from the weekend.
4. One of the coolest parts of the weekend was ending things with a bang by playing around with paints and brushes and blank canvases in a studio session led by Britt Bass! We got to chat with each other and admire each other's beautiful works using gouache, acrylics, and watercolors.
5. Finally, some of the most beneficial things I took away from the weekend were, in fact, words. These incredible shared some real nuggets of wisdom and truth that a) I either knew but had ignored or buried deep inside because they're hard to embrace or b) I had never really considered, and they unraveled all of my layers down to my creative core and set me free!
Here are some of the best verbal investments I took away from this weekend. Hopefully you find some of them as freeing and encouraging as I do!
"Richness of life is found in experiences, not things. Be rich now!"
"The end goal of your business is not popularity; it is profit."
"Don't ask me what the world needs, find what makes you come alive! The world needs people who have come alive."
"Fear is not a real thing. It has no form. It is only what you give it the power to be."
So many shout outs to Haley Sheffield and Shanna Skidmore, in addition to our incredible Gather hostesses with the mostest-es. I am overflowing with joy and warmth and creative love and fuzzy feelings. If you're considering this even in the slightest, do yourself a favor and go for it!
Don't be afraid to step out there. If you wait for it to be perfect, you'll never do it. Start with good and work up to great. You can do it! There is no better day to start than now.